Anthony Gordon: Newcastle hold talks with Everton as winger returns to training on Thursday after two-day absence | Transfer Centre News

Anthony Gordon, who was a January transfer target for Newcastle, will return to training with Everton’s first team at Finch Farm on Thursday.

The striker missed training on Tuesday with a planned absence – as did Amadou Onana. But when Onana returned to practice on Wednesday, Gordon was absent.

Sky Sports News It is understood that the 21-year-old player has not made an official transfer request.

Gordon is the subject of a potential £40m deal with Newcastle believed to be the front runners to sign him. The Champions League challengers have held transfer talks as they look to replace Chris Wood, who joined Nottingham Forest last week.

Although not an easy replacement, Newcastle see Gordon as a player who can operate in several positions in the front line.

GRAPHICS

Newcastle were rebuffed by an inquiry in the summer but have maintained an interest. It is thought a bid of around £40m could tempt Everton to sell.

Jose Save saves Anthony Gordon's effort
Image:
Gordon is available for around £40m

Complicating the move is Everton’s managerial situation – Frank Lampard was sacked on Monday and any new incumbent may want to keep Gordon.

During the summer transfer window, Chelsea held high-level talks with Everton regarding Gordon’s availability.

He was then seen as one of Thomas Tuchel’s main targets and Chelsea were willing to pay £60 million to bring him to Stamford Bridge.

Gordon has 18 months remaining on his current contract at Goodison Park.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sky Sports News chief reporter Kaveh Solhekol says former Burnley boss Sean Dyche and current Brentford manager Thomas Frank are both on the list of Everton managers to replace Frank Lampard

Also Read :  Doug Wolter: Is sports rigged? Finally an explanation that makes sense - The Globe

The news of Gordon comes after Tottenham signed Villarreal striker Arnaut Danjuma on loan until the end of the season.

Danjuma had been expected to sign for Everton on a similar deal after an agreement was reached at the weekend, but Spurs hijacked the move.

The addition of the versatile Dutch forward will boost Tottenham’s attacking options, with Heung-Min Son, Dejan Kulusevski, Richarlison and Lucas Moura all struggling with injuries this season.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Jamie Carragher says Everton fans still want change at boardroom level, but Frank Lampard can’t complain about being sacked as club manager.

Danjuma spent two years playing in England with Bournemouth and, while he starred in the Championship, he struggled in the Premier League, failing to score in 14 top-flight appearances.

A switch to Villarreal in 2021 proved successful, with Danjuma playing a key role in their run to the Champions League semi-finals, scoring 16 goals in all competitions for the La Liga side.

Chances have become increasingly limited for Danjuma this season after muscle problems disrupted the early part of his campaign, and a return to England is all but finalized with Tottenham.

Everton targeted Bielsa after sacking Lampard

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The Sun’s Football Editor Charlie Wyett believes there is no long-term plan at Everton and suggests the club need ‘firearm appointments’ to keep them in the Premier League.

Also Read :  Golfer Ex-Boyfriend Once Furnished Unheard Facet to Venus Williams’ Persona - ‘Doesn’t Have A..’

Marcelo Bielsa remains the favorite to replace Frank Lampard as Everton manager – but a deal could prove difficult to agree.

The former Leeds boss is Everton owner Farhad Moshiri’s preferred choice, but he and his backroom staff could cost up to £1million a month if they move to Goodison Park.

Bielsa’s particular negotiating style saw him demand huge fees, which were then distributed to his entire coaching staff, which came as part of a non-negotiable package.

Although Bielsa is No 1 on Everton’s wanted list, there are understood to be concerns over cost and about making wholesale changes to their coaching structure.

Everton want a new manager in place on Friday. Ralph Hasenhuttl, the former Southampton and RB Leipzig boss, and Sean Dyche, the former Burnley manager, are also being considered.

Bielsa was in talks to replace Scott Parker as Bournemouth manager ahead of the World Cup, but the role was eventually given to interim boss Gary O’Neil on a permanent basis.

The Toffees’ approach to Bielsa follows Lampard’s sacking on Monday evening, on the back of a 2-0 defeat to West Ham at the London Stadium on Saturday – their third consecutive defeat in the league.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Former Everton captain Alan Stubbs says Wayne Rooney can return to the club and tackle the task of keeping the Toffees in the Premier League

The former Chelsea boss arrived at Goodison Park in January 2022, and although he helped the club avoid the drop last season, he left Everton with 15 points from 20 games and three wins this season – fewer than any other team in the division.

Also Read :  Nets cruise past Hornets to extend winning streak to 11

Everton are 19th in the table, with only Southampton below them on goal difference.

Carra: Still the worst run club in the country

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Jamie Carragher believes Everton have become an ‘easy touch’ to play against in the Premier League and says The Toffees are ‘the worst managed club in the country’

Jamie Carragher still believes Everton are the worst managed club in the country and says the hierarchy has “broken the whole fan base” in recent weeks.

Everton sacked Lampard after less than a year in the job on Monday.

Lampard’s sacking follows Everton owner Farhad Moshiri attending his first game since October 2021 as the Toffees succumbed to West Ham – their third successive league defeat.

“No one knows a football club better than their own supporters,” Carragher said Monday Night Football.

Follow the January transfer window with Sky Sports

Who will be moving this winter? The January transfer window opens on Sunday January 1, 2023 and closed on 11 pm on Tuesday 31 January 2023.

Keep up to date with all the latest transfer news and rumors in our dedicated Transfer Center Blog on Sky Sports’ digital platform. You can also follow the ins and outs and analysis Sky Sports News.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button